Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Make that Networking Event Work for You!

As a child in school, I was forever getting in trouble for talking in class. All through high school and college, my friends were forever telling me: "You should be a comedian." Even now, I've received e-mail from friends encouraging me to audition as a comedian or take a course in stand-up comedy. I once got an e-mail from a friend who wanted me to audition for a new "Wonder Woman" series. He said I'd be perfect because they were making over the Wonder Woman role. I never sent my information in. However, I may just apply for Oprah Winfrey's gig when she retires.

I'm an extrovert. I'm loud, quite funny, and have a knack for putting others at ease (or some I'm told). However, put me in a situation where I don't know anyone, and I quickly become the quietest most withdrawn person in the room. I don't know what it is that comes over me, but I nearly panic when I have to make small talk. I actually loathe it.

As a highly creative person, I believe I view it as tedium and getting wrapped up in the details. "Hi, I'm Jane Doe and I work for company ABC company. What do you do?" In Washington, D.C. everyone is a networker. Business deals, promotions, knowledge is all tied to networking in this town. Though I was able to land three very good jobs without networking -- knowing someone who knew someone -- I'm convinced that my next job will arrive in the more common form: networking.

Though sending out resumes has certainly helped me land jobs, I've started attending more networking-type events in hopes of making important contacts.

Advantages of networking events

1. A relaxed setting. You get to meet the hiring manager in a more relaxed environment. The feeling of being in front of an interview firing squad all but dissipates as you munch cheese and crackers and sip Merlot.

2. More opportunities. Instead of going to one interview where you have to wow one person or a panel you now get the opportunity to talk to different individuals and learn about more jobs.

3. Seeing your boss and/or new colleagues in a different setting. How many times have you walked through the office of a potential employer, met the staff, accepted their anemic handshake and fake smile, all the while wondering which one would stab you in the back? One thing I've learned from networking events is that competitor companies love to dish the dirt. So while you may think it would be awesome to work for the firm you've been wooing, you might be surprised to learn that your department head is a micro-managing lunatic who drives everyone away after about a year or two.

Disadvantages of networking events (yes, I found a few)

1. Keeping focus. It may be difficult to sell yourself at a networking event, say a bar for instance after your potential boss has slammed back 3 martinis. This is also a good time to remind you to watch your imbibing as well.

2. Having a lasting and memorable effect. During an interview you can at least leave a resume and your portfolio if appropriate. At most networking parties and events the most you can do is slip someone your business card and collect theirs in hopes they will actually contact you later.

There are certainly ways to make networking events work for you. Some people have a certain presence when they walk into a room. I don't think I have it, but I've always been fortunate that people tend to walk up to me. One trick, which just came to me (and it just might work) is making up a false name and then asking someone if they've seen that person. For instance, when you walk into the event, look over the room as if you're looking for someone. Tap someone on the arm and say: "Have you seen John Morris? I'm meeting him here." Just pray it isn't someone there by that name. Then you can strike up a conversation with the person you've tapped on the arm and introduce yourself. Hey, it's worth a try, right?

Take a deep breath the next time you attend that networking party. Everyone in the room is there for the same reason, that next opportunity.

Don't panic, IT'S JUST A JOB!

No comments: